Parent E-Safety Information
Here are our top tips for helping to keep your children safe using the Internet:
- Help your child to understand that they should never give out personal information to online friends they do not know offline.
- Explain to your children what information about them is personal: i.e. email address, mobile number, school name, sports clubs, arrangements with friends, pictures or videos of themselves , their family or friends.
- Make your children aware that they need to think carefully about the pictures they post on their profiles. Inform them that once published online, anyone can share these images.
- Remind your child never to respond to spam or junk mail or texts.
- Help your child to understand that some people lie online and that therefore it's better to keep online mates online. They should never meet up with any strangers without an adult that they trust.
- Always keep communication open for a child to know that it is never too late to tell someone if something makes them feel uncomfortable.
Keep safe by being careful not to give out personal information when you’re chatting or posting online. Personal information includes your email address, phone number and password.
Meeting someone you have only been in touch with online can be dangerous. Only do so with your parents’ or carers’ permission and even then only when they can be present. Remember online friends are still strangers even if you have been talking to them for a long time.
Accepting emails, IM messages, or opening files, pictures or texts from people you don’t know or trust can lead to problems – they may contain viruses or nasty messages!
Someone online might lie about who they are and information on the internet may not be true. Always check information with other websites, books or someone who knows. If you like chatting online it’s best to only chat to your real world friends and family
Tell your parent, carer or a trusted adult if someone or something makes you feel uncomfortable or worried, or if you or someone you know is being bullied online.